Monday, September 26, 2016

Week Four: New Weird


Weird can be defined as something that is not normal but how can one truly define it when the meaning of normal is so subjective? What is normal for one person could be completely strange and unheard of to another. For this week, I read some of the short stories in China Meiville’s Three Moments of an Explosion: Stories. Meiville definitely has a unique style and writes about some interesting things; for instance, typically when one thinks of a collection of stories, it tends to be more narratively focused, however the titular story is more of an anti-narrative. It totally avoids the conventional elements of a narrative but is still very intriguing. I think the reason we are so interested in the unconventional or “weird” is because normalcy is a little boring. When you throw in the unconventional and/or the unexpected, it adds a little more excitement to life. I think reading Meiville’s work was refreshing to me because it was so different from the works I would typically read and that I have read for this class thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment