Monday, November 28, 2016

Week Eight: Contemporary Urban Fantasy


For the eighth week I read American Gods by Neil Gaiman and watched the film Coraline. As someone who really enjoys learning about different mythologies – especially Norse mythology – I found American Gods to be really interesting.  Right from the beginning I was super into it. Towards the middle of it the novel did start to slow down, but I did not mind it. I thought the idea of having different versions of the gods based on how the people who believe in them see them was exciting to me, and to include ideas and things that many people nowadays worship like gods such as technology be represented as deities is still very apropos. You cannot go out anywhere and avoid seeing at least half of the people out in public using some kind of technology no matter how unnecessary it may be. Many people have become too dependent on the wrong things.  Moving on to Coraline, it was a lot more whimsical than American Gods but it was super creepy. This was definitely a case of if something is too good to be true, it probably is. I thought the movie was really well done and I did not even mind that they added another character that was not from the book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment