Monday, November 28, 2016

Week Nine: The Space Opera and the Final Frontier

For the ninth week, I read Song in a Minor Key by C. L. Moore and watched Forbidden Planet and some of the Star Wars movies. I feel like the short story had a bit of a western story going on about it, which would make sense, as many science fiction space stories are adaptations of the western and sea stories. The only main difference is the setting. Maybe it is because the story is so short that it does not really give a chance to get the reader submerged into this new and exciting frontier of space like the films did – at least in my personal experience. I found the films to be way more exciting. In both films, the view is immersed in these visually stunning landscapes of places they have never seen before and some never even imagined. As much as I enjoy Star Wars, I think I actually enjoyed watching Forbidden Planet just a tiny bit more. The landscapes were gorgeous, and although it is a bit dated, I still thought it was a great movie.  

No comments:

Post a Comment